Re: Steering wheel identity

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel identity
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:55:44 -0700
I inquired early on as to what a 67BGT special edition was. I don't think
mine is. The steering wheel I have (which looks very much like Patton's) is
definitely not wood. It is leather or leather-like. I should mention too
that it is not flat like the early 70s steering wheels that look similar.
The wheel is raised outward from the hub, the spokes slanted inward to the hub.

The only picture I have available right now is:
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/99mgir.jpg

Also, the wheel is smaller than standard - I would have to measure it but I
would guess maybe 14" or 15", but a bit smaller than the standard wheel
like my 72B has.

David

At 03:41 PM 3/6/2002 -0800, Max Heim wrote:
>Patton-
>from your photos it looks like the rim is plastic or rubber (or leather)
>covered -- I say this because the rim material appears to extend down over
>the outer part of the spokes, and though it's hard to tell if this material
>is covered by tape, it definitely doesn't look like wood. And while some
>more recent wood-rim wheels have this feature, vintage ones tended not to --
>the flat spokes butted directly into the wood rim.
>
>According to Clausager, the 1967 GT Special Edition wheel was 16" with a
>wood rim. So I think that rules yours out, but David might want to look into
>his on his GT.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///