RE: Suspension

To: "'Joe Short'" <buster_balz@operamail.com>,
Subject: RE: Suspension
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:25:53 -0800
Joe has a point, but converting to a CBB front cross member is not a simple
task.

The best way to lower the car is to duplicate the CBB car.  Swap the front
crossmember.  Modify the steering shaft to align with the relocated rack.
Relocate the rear spring mounting points, relocate the rear bump stop
mounting.

It is a lot of work.  Almost simpler to find a CBB chassis and rehab it.

The MGOC lowering kit as shown on
http://www.mgb-chrome-alone.freeserve.co.uk/   just supplies lowered
springs, and I don't think that it drops the car all the way down to CBB
height.

An alternate concept is to use relocated front spindles as supplied by Dick
at MG Limited in Wisconsin.  This solves the front geometry problems
encountered by lowering.  On the rear, reverse eye leaf springs are
available (see 2" lowered springs from your favorite suppliers).  I'm using
a set of these rear springs on my 1965 MGB race car and have had no problems
so far with street use, so I'm guessing they will work ok to lower the RBB.

This is a bit more expensive, but I'm planning on trying them out on my four
banger 80B, before putting them on the 78 V8 project.

Kelvin.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///