Re: Overdrive problem

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>, "Mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: Overdrive problem
From: James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:46:54 -0800
Bob,
I used 20w50 GTX and will try to check the gear shift switch for electricity
and continuity.
I hope that's what it is, cause I don't feel like draining the tranny again.
It is such a pain filling it from on my back (-:.  My brother in law said it
sounds like the solenoid.  He works for Keys Transmission Parts and said the
Ford is their best customer, cause the solenoids for Fords are made in
Mexico.  Maybe MG bought there solenoids from Ford (-;
Jim
78B
70B
seeking MGCGT

Bob Howard wrote:

> Jim,
>   Two ideas-be sure that the oil in the OD is engine oil, not 90w gear
> oil.
>    Adjust the "3/4" switch on the gearbox. I suspect that it is sticking,
> and only when it gets jiggled by the 3-2 shift is it releasing.
> Bob
>
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:20:15 -0800 James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
> writes:
> > Listers,
> > Seems to me this subject came up not to long ago but I ignored it at
> > the
> > time.  My 78B O/D engages ok but when I want to shift out it won't
> > do it
> > until I shift into 2nd. By the way, this is a 73B engine and O/D in
> > 78B.  I just cleaned the filter and changed the oil to see if that
> > would
> > help.  However, the same symptoms have occurred.  Any suggestions?
> > Jim
> > 78B
> > 70B
> > seeking MGCGT