Re: Overdrive problem

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>, "Mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: Overdrive problem
From: James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:25:53 -0800
Listers including  Bob and Dave,
Played with the switch on the gear shift knob today.  I took it off and
inspected the switch and connections.  Didn't see any obvious problems.
Re-assembled switch and went for ride.  Shifted into O/D and tried to switch
out.  Still didn't not dis-engage O/D.  Hmmm what to do.  I gently twisted
the the top of the knob just playing around.  The O/D disengaged.  Weird, ok,
tried O/D again and  switch out.  No luck, twisted knob ever so slightly,
bingo, disengaged.  So, I'm going to try and crimp the contacts better and
put di-electric on them.   Any other thoughts?
Jim
78B
70B
seeking MGCGT after I sell my 78B

Bob Howard wrote:

> Jim,
>   With 20/50 in the gearbox, it is not the oil that is causing the
> problem.  MG wrote a service bulletin that said 90w in the gearbox was
> OK, and didn't rescind it for about a month. I poured in fresh 90w, and
> immediately had shift in and shift out problems with the OD. Then I found
> the second bulletin that superceded the first one.....
>   I ..believe..  (someone please confirm this)   that the electric power
> to solenoid causes it to engage the OD and that w/o power to the solenoid
> the OD does not engage.
>   If that is correct, then the expensive little solenoid is OK and it's
> just a wiring or switch problem that you have to resolve. Let's hope that
> is the situation.
>    Is your OD off/on switch the one on steering column or on the shift
> lever? The one on steering column can be partially disassembled and
> cleaned with electrical cleaner from Radio Shack w/o removing it from the
> column.
> Bob
>
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:46:54 -0800 James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
> writes:
> > Bob,
> > I used 20w50 GTX and will try to check the gear shift switch for
> > electricity
> > and continuity.
> > I hope that's what it is, cause I don't feel like draining the
> > tranny again.
> > It is such a pain filling it from on my back (-:.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///