Re: Will a 74 engine fit a 77B?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Will a 74 engine fit a 77B?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:45:11 -0500
On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Jon Stepro wrote:
> I have a 77B with no engine.  I did not plan on looking for an engine for a
> while, however, I have stumbled across a 1974 1800cc MGB engine.

The others have spoken about the difference in engine mounts, so I would
beat a dead monkey here.

Just a warning though, if you live in a state with rigid emissions laws, you
could be required to trick out a 74 era 18V with all the fun stuff that was
stock in 77. In places like California, you'd have to have the Catalytic
Convertor and the ZS carbs, neither of which were in 74's. At least I don't
think they were.

I'm lucky. Here in ohio, anything older than 25 years isn't subject to
emissions testing. So my 73 is getting rebuilt to 67 specs. (and perhaps
being combined with a parts car to become a 68 title. it's a long story.
Anyone who has read my comments lately may have noticed I haven't yet
figured out whether to refer to my B as a 68 or a 73.)