RE: 2002 plans for my 68 MGB GT so far, please help. TIA

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>
Subject: RE: 2002 plans for my 68 MGB GT so far, please help. TIA
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:11:48 -0500
Dan Furbish (who belongs to the same clubs I do) asked:

> I pulled the front wheels off my 68 BGT for a look see, I want
> to re bush it with Polyurethane bushings all around this spring.
> I want a stiffer / tighter road feel, and some of the bushings are
> almost shot.
>
> I'm looking at my Moss MGB catalog (MGB-16) effective
> 10/1/01. On page 16 it talks of "Prothane" bushings.
> It looks like about $150 in just bushings-is that right ?
> What other parts do you think I'll need (or possibly need)
> to replace ?

Don't know about the cost because I'm too lazy to pull out my Moss
catalogue.  But I had delrin A-arm bushings in my B years ago and they made
the ride too stiff and jarring for me.  They also wore and I had to tighten
up the castle nuts every once in a while to get rid of the clunk.  They
were better than the stock bushings which are too soggy and only last about
3 months, but the best for me turned out to be the MGBGT V8 bushings--good
road feel without shaking out my fillings.  The same set have been in the
car maybe 20 years now.

If you install rubber bushings like the V8 bushings, the only trick is to
tighten the castle nuts with the car sitting on the wheels so that the
rubber bushings get a neutral preload.  I don't know if this applies to the
polyurethane bushings.

> I'm going to stick with the stock shocks, on page 16 of the
> Moss catalog it talks of  heavy duty shock valves- would it be
> wise for me to install these when I drain and refill the shocks ?

I've never tried this, but I've heard that you can make the shocks stiffer
by putting thicker oil in them.

> I've never been too thrilled with the OEM brakes on my B.
> Would it be wise to replace the almost worn out OEM rotors
> with Moss's cross-drilled & slotted rotors (586-605) with 182-225
> semi metallic front pads ? I already installed braided stainless brake
> hoses at all 4 corners.

Stock B brakes, shocks, and suspension (except for the sucky stock
bushings) work very well.  I suspect that people think that go-fast bits
are an improvement because they're replacing worn parts with new parts.
New stock parts might have had the same effect and would have been a whole
lot cheaper.  I would make sure that the existing parts are working
correctly before I decide that I need upgrades.  Besides, people who have
been under your car say that the rear metal brake lines are squashed. ;-)

Denise

--- Den

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list