Re: Radiator Repair/Replace?

To: AGreenberg@aol.com
Subject: Re: Radiator Repair/Replace?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:20:33 -0400
Alex,
  You have to yank it out in any case, so might as well take it to the
rad shop, have them clean it, boil off the paint, inspect and pressure
test it.  Then you know what you are faced with.
   More often than not, the core (finned part) deteriorates before the
top and bottom tanks, so "re-coring" can be viable.  When radiator for my
MGB was damaged from a pothole incident, the rad shop re-cored using a
core that had another row of tubes.
  End of any question about overheating. Temp needle stays much closer to
N as there is extra cooling capacity for the times when the engine needs
it.
Bob