Re: Bleeding Clutch Cylinders

To: N <twobees@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Bleeding Clutch Cylinders
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, N wrote:

> When I replaced my slave cylinder a year or two ago, I had the typical
> trouble - no matter how much I bled, the system still had air.  Someone on
> this Digest had the solution.  And, I don't remember what it is.  I have
> checked the Archives.  But, nothing there answers the question.
>
> Anyone have the exact solution.  One of my MGB neighbors (There are 3 of us
> within 2 blocks with blue CB roadsters) is having fits with his.
>
> Norm Sippel
> '66 MGB

When I replaced the clutch master and  slave cylinders and the tubing
(with an extra curl in it) last year, I had no idea how to bleed so I
partially filled the reservoir and with a mityvac, filled the rest from
the slave
cylinder bleeder valve with another person around who watched the bubbles
in the reservoir. When the
bubbles stopped as I continued to add fluid, he prevented an overflow
by removing potentially overflow fluid with a big syringe.

It worked rather quickly and has held up for the year. Maybe it was just
beginner's luck 'cause it was the 1st bleed I had ever done.
BTW, I had seen something like this as a tip on the list. It worked
nicely, Norm.

Bill S
76B