Re: maxed out dwell out 40 degrees?

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: maxed out dwell out 40 degrees?
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:28:21 -0500
   I think Paul has hit the proverbial nail on the head.  Assuming
that all the parts are correct for this application (which is a bit
of a reach.  Auto parts stores tend to lump all variants of older
designs into one generic set of "parts" -- independent of whether
they are correct, or not.  Not a bad thing to check.)  If the lobes
of the distributor cam were worn down, the dwell would increase,
until adjusted; Then it would be hard to get a stable dwell as the
ramp would be longer -- with the fairly safe assumption that the
lobes would wear faster than the flats.
   You might adjust the points to where they just open at the
very tip of the cam (for a test) then spin the engine on the starter
while watching the dwell (you don't need to start the motor).  It
should be huge, if hard to read.  If not, something primal is wrong.
   BTW, Chevy (I think it was) had a set-up where a little door on
the distributor <cap> could be opened allowing the points to be
tweaked with the motor running.  I always liked that.  It was also a
good idea to put the Allen wrench on the adjuster BEFORE starting
the motor.

best,

rick / tulsa