drink holder, and drive

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: drink holder, and drive
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:27:21 -0500
Afternoon LBC-ers,
   Please forgive my non-MG content note but I
gotta comment.   Delete now if you must.

Mini-rant follows:
   In a time when modern automobiles are actually rated
by the quality, quantity and placement of their cup-holders
(don't laugh!  Just pick up any Consumer Reports!), it
is of minor interest that in Oklahoma, it is illegal to eat
or drink while driving a car!   I doubt that that law has
been enforced in decades as I have seen donuts and
coffee in the hands of driving OK boys in blue. :-P
   I do believe that modern cars have gotten to easy to
drive.  There is nothing fed back to the driver to tell
him just how much energy he is throwing around.  In
a new BMW (for example only), you can go into a turn
at 90mph, sipping a latte and taking a cell phone call --
and come out of it okay.  Set down in one of my classic
cars and the first thing they say is, "I'm going to KILL you!"
That is the way it should be.
   The one that gets me here is the number of drivers I
see in Tulsa's morning commute who are SHAVING
on the way to work!  They just sit up there in their
two-story-tall SUVs, rear-view mirror twisted around,
leaning in for a close view and plow right on.  Another guy
I see regularly has his cereal bowl up on the wheel as he
motors to work.  Then there are all the 'gummers' puttering
around with 1920's driving mentality -- not to mansion
impaired abilities.  This is a dangerous town to take your
MG <or any car> out in!

   Thank you.  I am better now.

rick
Emerald Research / Tulsa OK USA