Re: radiator mystery

To: "Telewest (PH)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: radiator mystery
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:32:43 -0600
Paul:

<<<snip>>>
Of course you are not blocking off the rad by putting cardboard there,
because if the heater is giving no heat (assuming a properly working
system)
the stat will be closed anyway and there will be no heat in the rad.
What
you are doing is restricting the flow of very cold air round the engine,
it
is that which is 'super-cooling' the system.
<<<snip>>>

The fan never runs on engine startup.  It only starts up about when the
thermostat opens.

Also, the engine runs colder in the winter than the summer regardless of
the thermostat used.  In the summer, the "gauge" reads half way between
C and H.  In the winter it reads about 1/3 of the way from C.  I've
replaced the thermostat at least three times.  Always the same temp
conditions.  So, by putting in the cardboard, the gauge reads the same
in the winter as it does in the summer.  A check of the water flow in
the radiator shows water flows summer and winter through the radiator.
I've never had this problem with other cars.

I used to change the thermostat from summer to winter, but it wasn't
worth the effort.  I've left the "cold climate" thermostat in all year.

Blake