Re: radiator mystery

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: radiator mystery
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:44:39 -0400
  It started out as an effort to increase heat to the heater, a
wintertime adaptation.  The first cold morning revealed that the 195 stat
was insufficient to bring much heat to the heater, which lead to my
discussing with a several nearby mechanics.  They all advocated blocking
part of the radiator, which did cause engine temp to reach 195, the
thermostat to open, and the heater to work much better.
  Their discussions all ended with the recommendation that the 195 stat
be used year-round.  I don't recall all their reasons now, but do recall
that universally they pointed out that all modern vehicles use 195 stats.
 One thing they agreed on was that the higher temps keep the oil cleaner
and that today's oils are much less prone to temperature breakdown than
oils of the MGB era.  They feel that the higher temps reduce cylinder and
valve guide wear. Each has a couple of antique cars of his own.   I have
no published references to confirm their beliefs, but all these guys have
their certificates in frames on the wall, and all of them steam clean
engines before opening any part, even rocker covers.
   For two years I switched back to the 180 stat for summer, but when I
found that the 195 stat had no effect on summertime oil pressure and that
the drained summer oil seemed to be less stringy/gooey, I left the 195 in
place year round.
  My TD has a 75C stat, 167F approx.  Both engines have oil changed 2x
per year, at about 1500 miles. The B oil always appears to be more
uniform in viscosity when poured into the waste container.  I make the
assumption that it has less condensation accumulated in it than the TD.
Neither loses coolant.   Both engines have 20/50 oil.
   Sometime, if I were ever to get organised, I should start sending oil
samples out for analysis and test my beliefs.
Bob