RE: new wheels

To: "'MonteMorris'" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: new wheels
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:12:21 -0600
Monte, your challenges are just beginning.  It will be difficult to get
the wheels balanced correctly (they will be 'true' when you get them but
not balanced).  The problem is, there is no flat machined surface on the
back side of the wheel to mate with a dynamic balancer.  So they can't
get them on the machine true.  The best thing they can do is use two
cones, one on the inside and one on the outside.  This still won't
result in a 'good' balance.  Just for yucks, when they finish balancing
the first one ask them to put the wheel back on the balancer and check
it again...

The best balance I ever got was one of the type where they spin the
wheel/tire assembly on the car.  Problem is they don't make those
machines anymore and when they break they don't repair them.

I would recommend you find some old guy that's been selling tires for 50
years.  Ask him if he has a bubble balancer.  Simple and accurate.

I assume you'll be running tubes.  Make sure they are not to big for the
tire.  Make sure there are no wrinkles in the tube.  And check to see
that there is NOTHING inside the tire before they assemble things.
After you visually check the tire, run your hand around inside, you can
feel things you can't see.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy