Re: easy question?

To: <ATWEDITOR@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: easy question?
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:35:43 -0500
   Boy is Jay's note ever on the mark!  I had trouble with a
car once that had an I in the VIN but a 1 on the title (or
perhaps it was the other way around).  Everyone can certainly
see how that is misinterpreted.  In fact, on old typewrites, a
lower case L was used as a 1 -- but that didn't lessen the
problem.  The folks who have to make the call are underpaid
and undermotivated state employees.  The best bet, by far, is
to befriend them, empathize with their troubles and prey that
they are feeling benevolent.
   I once tried to register an out-of-state, old British car
here in Oklahoma.  A VIN inspection was required for out-
of-state transfers.  After completing much of the under-bonnet
paintwork, I took the chassis plate (with the VIN stamped on
it) with me into the title office.  They wouldn't accept it.  We
then went out to the car and I pop riveted it back into place and
everything was fine!  Go figure.

rick