Re: Sump pan removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sump pan removal
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:38:33 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/02 2:56:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Once the sump pan is off, I plan to undo the main caps, big ends and oil
> pump. I plan to renew the big end bearings, the lower halves of the main
> bearings, and the oil pump. Will this be fairly easy? Any advice?

The intermediate mains and centre are no problem, but the end caps are a
pain. They are secured with bolts through the timing cover on the front, and
both front and rear are a bitch to get out without buggering the gasket, and
get back in squarely.

I've done it a couple of times between races, just because I didn't have time
to pull the engine, but don't recommend it.

If it is just for rods, no problem.
Bill