Re: reply or cc?

To: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: reply or cc?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:29:29 -0400
Kevin,

I am somewhat puzzled!  But if I understand this list mechanism .... If I
reply to you only I just select "reply"or "reply to all".  If I choose the
latter and I do NOT delete that majordomo trailing verbiage - it will still
only go to you.  If I want to send to the list I have to select "reply to
all" AND delete the verbiage.

I believe the autox.team.net server will not pass on email replies to the
list if it detects the verbiage

To me this is brilliant!  It means you have to force yourself to copy to
others - Otherwise we would be inundated with uninteresting, unrelated, and
blah-blah email.

At 04:52 PM 8/2/02 -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:
>I recently switched from "digest" to "Whoa Nelly, that's a lot of messages"
>   modes on this mailing list.  I've been on many lists and the is only the
>second one I've found that defaults replies to the original sender.  The
>other one was specifically a "for sale" list and in that case, it made
>sense because no one wants to read a bunch of messages where people try and
>haggle each others prices down.    This list is different because if
>someone has an MG problem, everyone on the list should read the problem and
>solution, if only for future reference.
>
>Your replies to this message will come directly back to me if you click
>your "reply" button (or whatever your mail reader has).  You then have to
>"carbon copy" it to the list in order for the whole list to see it.  I'm
>not complaining, I'm just curious.  I can easily edit my filter to move
>both "TO" and "CC" messages to the right box, and the extra typing isn't
>going to kill anyone.  That said, duct-tape and a nylon tarp can make for
>a "pack-away hood", but it isn't the best setup.
>
>Why was this list set up that way?  I don't see very much "for sale" type
>action here, so that can't be it (although a so cute, SAAB Sonette 1.5
>hours away in Tulsa is tempting). :)
>
>Kevin Smith
>'68 MGB (under restoration)
>'72 MGB (rust growth experiment)