Re: Oil Pressure questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:07:57 -0700
I don't think anybody is using the oil pressure gauge as a "low oil
indicator", except in the sense of a "no oil indicator" as in the case
mentioned, where an incorrectly installed filter led to all the oil being
pumped out in minutes. Without the gauge, the person would have had no way
of knowing about this catastrophe until the engine screeched to a sudden and
permanent halt.

I also feel the gauge is useful when evaluating used cars offered for sale,
to get an idea of how tired the motor is. An idiot light would obviously be
of no use for this purpose. Similarly, it can help one evaluate the
condition of one's own high-mileage engine, in conjunction with other
factors, to determine when it's time for a rebuild.

But I agree one shouldn't have one's eye glued to it continuously while
driving, anxiously looking for minute variations...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149