Re: Cop vs. LBC's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cop vs. LBC's
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
Charles & Peggy Robinson SEZ -
>   We are required to have front plates here in Texas.  My B has one on
> it, as do my other vehicles.  In my view, getting a ticket for
> disobeying the law is not the result of an abuse of power.

It's hard to instill in people a respect for the rule of
law when the laws are so capricious and their enforcement
so arbitrary.  Even here in the Little Soviet of Washington,
where 2 plates have been required since around 1980, you aren't
required to have a front plate on a car that did not originally
have a mounting for a front plate.   ...And we have some pretty
stupid traffic laws here (ie, public busses *always* have the
right of way).  The newest kick is rabid enforcement of seatbelt
laws.  You can be pulled over if the cop thinks you aren't
wearing a seatbelt.  Although I have always worn seatbelts in
cars so equipped, I had to check into this because my MGA never
had seatbelts.  According to the State Patrol, you don't have
to wear a seatbelt in a car that wasn't sold by the manufacturer
with seatbelts.  We'll see how Officer Friendly interprets
that one.  I have a hunch.

And let's not even get started on the constitutionality of
traffic tickets issued by cameras...

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,