RE: Cop vs. LBC's

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cop vs. LBC's
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:41:27 -0500
> It seems California is cracking down on no front plates.  A
> lot of the cities are
> installing red light cameras.  The cameras take a picture of
> the driver and front
> plate.  I was at a mall in the mountaineer which had no front
> plate and when I
> returned to the car it had a ticket on the window..  Looking
> down the isle so did
> a lot of other cars..  The sheriff was cruising the mall
> parking lot writing
> every one he saw!
> So far I haven't been caught in the MG...

I have a front plate on my MG.  I don't have one on my Jag.  And I don't
have one on my Ranger.  It was bought in Oklahoma, where they only issue one
plate, and I'm not going out of my way to find/pay for a bracket to mount
the front one.

My take is that so many states don't require front plates, so a cop isn't
really going to look too closely at an oncoming car with no front plate
anyway.   In all the times I've been pulled over for something, or been a
passenger in a car being pulled over, I've never seen the cop go to the
front of the car for anything.  So even if you are stopped, you probably
won't get cited for the plate.

I'm sure the fact that all of these LBC's were together caught his attention
in the first place, and then he noticed the lack of front plates, and then
figured he could hit his revenue quota for the rest of the month in one fell
swoop.

As for red light cameras, and other photo enforcement, a good resource is
Rep. Dick Armey's web site:

http://www.freedom.gov/auto/

Oh, and it turns out red light cameras cause an increase in rear-end
collisions:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/columns/2002/september/200209_co
lumns_bedard.xml