RE: Cops vs.LBCs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cops vs.LBCs
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:31:01 -0500
> resulted in  sizeable fines and court costs.  This even
> happened when the SA
> kknew the cop was not going to show up.  It seems the cops
> are more profitable
> to the community writing tickets than defending the ones they wrote.

You'll see this in action if you ever make a plea deal on a traffic ticket.
If I get caught speeding, I get caught speeding.  Yes, the limits may be set
artificially low, etc., but when I get nailed fair and square, it's just
means I lost that round, and I have to pay up.  The problem is with the
insurance industry, who will then use those tickets against you to increase
your rates.

So while I'll freely admit to my 'wrongdoing', I'm certainly not going to
provide extra cash flow to the insurance company as a result.  So you make
certain that any moving violation (especially one that carries any points on
your license) gets pleaded to a non-moving violation (illegally parked, loud
muffler, etc.)  If you have a pretty clean record (i.e. your're not in that
situation that if you get hit with the points on this citation you'll lose
your license), the prosecutor is usually all too happy to amend the
citation, provided you pay an _increased_ fine.

The fact that it simply takes more money to make the violation go away gives
you pretty good evidence of what it's all about to start with...