RE: Cops vs.LBCs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cops vs.LBCs
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:06:02 -0500
>    On this count, I have to <mildly> question "...artificially low..."
> because we, the motorsport-enjoying-minority, make up such
> a tiny fraction of the driving community.  I agreee totally with

By 'artificially low' I mean that most speed limits are set in an arbitrary
fashion.  A well done federal study showed that speed limits should be set
to  the 85th percentile speed.  You knock off the top 15 percentile to get
rid of the truly dangerous speeders.  Most people assume a speed they feel
to be safe, regardless of the posted limit.  By placing the limits below
this, they're simply ignored, traffic flow is impeded, etc.

Many argue that if speed limits are raised, people will just keep bumping
their speed up as well, but that's not what the studies found.  If you set
the limit at the 85th percentile, compliance improves.

> concern and respect.  I consider a 3000 pound car at road
> speeds to be a lethal weapon and I have to accept the
> responsibility for it's use and the safety of those around me.
> Most people go looking for someone to blame when their own
> actions end up causing an accident.  I also consider most people
> as poorly trained drivers who know little-to-nothing about their
> automobile or the physics that governs its use and abuse.  I believe
> that cars should be HARD to drive so we will pay attention.  To
> hell with cupholders, self-leveling air suspension and cell phones!
> Then again, I am somewhat of a cynic with little respect for the
> human species. :-\  Perhaps the 'artifically low' speed limits are
> the best way to keep the average 'major appliance' (read:SUV)
> driver from killing us all.

Agreed about the state of the average driver.  The only problem with your
last statement is that the 'major appliance' driver isn't paying any
attention to the speed limit anyway.

>    Unfortunately they have us somewhat over a barrel in that
> one can never win a debate with another who believes, or can
> adequately demonstrate to the 'unwashed', that they have the
> moral high-ground.  Try living in Tulsa, a.k.a., the Buckle
> of the Bible Belt where ANY action can be justified by claiming
> that it is God's will -- especially if there is an attractive profit
> margin attached to it!

Living in Tulsa was a real, uh, educational experience.  Here we have this
small city with outrageous insurance rates.  Apparently, everyone there sues
for _every_ accident.  Seems as though all the very religious folks there
aren't so big on the forgiveness part if they can get some money for their
'pain and suffering'...  :)

>    Thanks for your comments.  I do believe that we, the motorsport
> community, are a minority so we must pull together.

Indeed.  I'd strongly recommend that everyone check into the National
Motorists Association:

http://www.motorists.com/

Take a look at their information and join if you agree with their goals.
They're one of the main forces that helped repeal the national 55mph speed
limit.