RE: email sent to Bob Shaw

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: email sent to Bob Shaw
From: "Neil Cotty" <ncotty@globalfreightsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:39:38 +0100
>Any timing light will let you see that
those things are working.

Yes, you will see the light move further BTDC with a standard light as you
accelerate, but it won't let you check with any certainity what the
centrifugal advance is doing and whether or not it is within spec wrt the
distributors advance curve.
Unless of course you have a properly calibrated scale marked on the timing
cover showing up to 50 degrees of advance..

If the advance springs have weakened, the distributor could be allowing full
advance way too early in the rev range. If you go to Pauls Website and check
out the Distributor Curves he's assembled, in combination with the Advance
Timing Light you can check if your distributor is in peak form - or should I
say original form. ;) Believe me, you can have correctly set initial timing
and a working vacumn advance can, but if your distributor springs are
buggered you will get problems. BTDT.