Re: New MGB

To: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Subject: Re: New MGB
From: Chris Thompson <chris-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:32:19 -0400
Bob Shaw (shaws@mlcltd.com) wrote:
> You know, I've never seen an MG that I did not like. I think it would
> be neat to have _ of the new MGs.

I've never seen a PRODUCTION MG I didn't like. One of the "History of MG"
books, I seem to recall a concept car during the worst of BL upheaval that
was to be the MGB's replacement that was wedge shaped, which ended up being
that wedge shaped triumph. TR7? Fugly.

I've never been a fan of the styling of the Rubber Bumper B's, but I can
appreciate them. I thought the RV8 had an odd front end, but I'd drive it.

The pictures of the Non-US post MGB cars like the Metro looked like the
cheap american/japanese hatchbacks I drove (Plymouth Champ, Dodge Omni)
with some go-fast bits. Fast, yes, but not exactly stylish.

As for the new Z series, I don't see anything on them that distinguishes
them. I can't get out of my head that they look like you took various
hondas, Accord, Civic, etc, and changed the front end. And the grille, to
me at least, looks very BMW to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they had them here on
American soil, and drive them with pride, but I don't think they're
breaking any new ground in the styling department.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster