Carbs vs. carbs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Carbs vs. carbs
From: Michael Jose <mwjose@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:36:54 -0700
Dear listers,
As I've been having a world of trouble with my ZS on my 79 B since I've
had the car, (as in, two rebuilds of the carb, countless rebuilds of the
choke, and now a fire from the choke) I would like to ask a provocative
question.
HAVE THE BRITISH EVER HEARD OF A SIMPLE AUTOMATIC CHOKE?
Sorry to yell, but American cars from the 60s had autochokes which were
air operated, and functioned very well.  I'm not sure if this were a
trade secret kept in the states, but I am wondering if I have any real
options for a carburettor that works most of the time, is simple to
maintain, doesn't require some bizarre choke setup, and can keep my car
emissions-legal.
I've seen single SUs, Webers of differing sizes, and manual choke
conversions for the Stromberg, but nothing that looks like it would
actually help at all.
I know everyone will have his own opinion, I guess I'm just asking for
all of those, and the one I like best wins.
I'm just tired of fighting my carburettor.
Mike Jose
79B
Phoenix