rebuilding SU's

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rebuilding SU's
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:36:27 -0600
Good PM,
We're getting our first snow here in Northern Missouri today.
I'm getting to rebuild a set of HIF's off the 74 parts car to replace the ZS
carb on the 79 ( Please let me know who of you have done this, so I can pick
your brain during the installation). This winter I'm also planning on
rebuilding the HS carbs on the 67B.The question of the day follows.

Has anyone rebuilt their SU carbs using the homeade reamer instructions that
appeared in the Sept/Oct edition of MGB Driver?
The reamer reams a 3/8" hole and has a 5/16" guide shaft. You use the shaft as
a guide while reaming one side of the carbs with the trailing end of the
modified reamer.

The question that I have twofold:
    1. Using the method outlined in MGB Driver, has anyone used the Moss
supplied carb shaft bushings (# 372-545) which according to Kelvin is a
"bronze bush measures .3760/OD and .3125/ID. The bush is .75" long".?
    2. If you did use these bushings, did they have to be reamed internally
for the Moss STANDARD throttle shafts? The internal diameter SHOULD be the
same as the supplied shafts, but according the  "Are You Rebuilding Your
Carburetor" insert on page 77 of the newest Moss catalog (which says "press in
the new ones and drill and ream them to fit the new throttle shaft"),  I'm
interpreting this to mean they need to be re-reamed for the standard shafts to
fit. This really doesn't make sense to me so can someone enlighten me?
Thanks,
Monte
          79B, Carmine-soon to get a new paint job
          67B, BRG- on car dollies for the winter
          74 1/2 Rust, parts car-still rusting