Re: Mk I, Mk II dash

To: David Breneman <idcb@airborne.com>
Subject: Re: Mk I, Mk II dash
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 12:33:03 -0500
Hi David,

>From what I understand, with the correct European market speaker
console, my 68-74 BMH body shell can be converted to a completely or
nearly completely authentic 68-70 LHD European market car.

There's not a great deal of difference between a MKI body and a MKII
body. The MGB "look" came with a metal dash from 62 to 67 in the US and
beyond 67 in Europe. Sounds like you're saying that all the MGB's with
metal dashes from 62-67 were anachronistic, and you have an issue with
the original MGB designers -- the original look and feel of an MG.

Interestingly enough, originality is exactly why I would prefer the
metal dash. It's more in the "true spirt" of the MG cars. At least in
terms of how I define the "true spirt". I thought the padded dash was a
response to US Goverment regulations, rather than an improvement from
the MG designers.

It's largely a question of whether you like the padded dash or not.
Lot's of people don't. Maybe lot's more do. I don't know.

My TR250 gets 104 HP stock. The same car in the UK got 150 HP. Why would
I want to keep it stock? What exactly is stock? What was the intent of
the Triumph designers vs the US Goverment? I'm rebuilding the engine to
get 150 HP maybe 160 HP. It sure isn't stock. I think I'm simply
unleashing it's inner spirit. Letting it do what the Triumph designers
intended it to do.

If I was concerned about resale value, and return on investment, these
cars, or any car for that matter, would be last on my list.

Don