clutch problems

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch problems
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 16:16:49 -0700
My 72B, after two years restoration, is almost ready to go. But i have two
weird problems to fix first. I encountered them during my first plan to
test drive on Wednesday but after several hours today, I still have made no
progress.

The problems are:

1. The clutch - maybe not so weird that the clutch doesn't work after
repeated bleeding. Especially since I started with a dry system that hadn't
been used for a few years plus a new hose. But the lever does move a good
half inch, maybe 3/4", which I thought was good. I recall a lister or two
saying they open the bleed valve overnight and then bleed successfully the
next day. But the other weird thing (besides no clutch despite the travel)
is that if I open the valve, fluid continues to flow out gradually on its
own, emptying the clutch master cylinder. I don't recall ever seeing fluid
movement ever before. Has anyone had similar problems or suggestions?
Should I rebuild slave and/or master cylinder again?

2. Engine firing - the engine has very little power even after warming it
up. Compression is good on all four cylinders, I have set the timing, and
the rotor is at the position of spark plug 1's electrode on the
distributer. It seems like a miss so I tried another set of spark plugs.
The weird thing here is the firing order. Sure, its supposed to be 1-3-4-2.
Is that clockwise on the distributer cap? On my 67BGT, its anti-clockwise
but when I set it that way on the 72, it will not fire at all. Reverse 2
and 3 (to make it 1-3-4-2 clockwise) and it starts right up but is very
slow to rev up (still acts like its running on three cylinders).

I guess I was due. This is my third engine rebuild. The other two went much
smoother (well, except the first time, mating the engine to transmission in
the engine bay or the time the distributer was off 180 degrees).

But first things first - and without a clutch, it matters not how the
engine runs. Any clutch advice?

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B