Re: clutch problems

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch problems
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 20:40:58 -0600
At 09:28 AM 1/5/03 -0700, David Councill wrote:
>.... Yes, I had the distributer gear drive backwards before so I made sure
>I put it on right this time or so I thought. And yes, I reversed the
>clutch disk once a few years ago.

The factory workshop manual is very confusing on this point, particular the
statement "position the larger offset upwards" for the distributor drive
gear.  Additionally the directions for installing and aligning the camshaft
drive sprockets have the engine arranged at TDC with #1 cylinder on the
exhaust stroke, while the directions for installing and aligning the
distributor drive gear require the engine to be set to TDC with #1 cylinder
on the compression stroke.  That one revolution difference of the
crankshaft is where the half turn error of the dizzy drive is often
encountered.  With all of this combined, it is almost a 50/50 chance of
error by following the directions in the book.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com