Re: clutch problems

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch problems
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:14:15 -0700
At 12:03 AM 1/5/2003 -0600, Barney Gaylord wrote:

>1/2" of travel at the slave is plenty.  The hydraulics are fine.  The
>problem is inside of the bellhousing.

This part I agreed with and so rather than fiddle with the hydraulics, I
took Barney's word and started the disassembly. But I was sure that that
two theories could not be right - 1. friction disk stuck to flywheel or
pressure plate OR 2. disk in wrong way. In fact, I was positive I put the
disk in correct.

Yesterday, I unbolted all the transmission parts, and after work today I
started the separation. Unfortunately, it appears the tunnel is slightly
smaller on my B than the one on my BGT and I was unable to pull the
transmission out (did it on the BGT maybe 5 or six times but no such luck
today). It looks like I'll have to get an engine hoist and move the engine
forward a few inches. But I see the problem - the friction disk appears to
have broken but I could only see the forward side of it since the
transmission is not completely separated.

To make matters worse (besides now having to borrow a hoist), the good
weather will only last through tomorrow. So my garage is not going to be
quite as warm as it has been the past week or so. But I'll plug along, a
few steps backwards and then we'll move ahead again.

David