Re: Tube shock conversions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversions
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:17:44 -0500
All,

This is the suspension set-up for my autocrossing (and road) '74 B-GT:

- 1" lowered rear springs from Moss
- Uprated shock valves (in fresh rebuilt lever shocks)
- Doug Jackson panhard rod - new generation
- Bolt-on style hubs on wire wheel axle (narrower)
- Panasport 15x7" wheels with 22mm offset (same as stock B wheels)
- 205/50/15 race tires
- ARP race-duty longer wheel studs (pop right in!)
- 1/4" wheel spacers on rear
- No modifications to fender at all - not even rolling fender lip.

Not yet installed but soon to be for next season:

- 550 lb 1" lower front springs from Moss - tried these originally , but
they inexplicably lower the car well more than 1" - maybe three inches -
will use spring spacers to try and dial in the eventual ride height.  The
catalogues say lower "3/4 inch".  I think it should read "3-4 inches" -
seriously.  No one has ever managed an explanation for the dramatic
difference in advertised and actual effect.  Any guesses?
- 7/8" front roll bar.  Already have this but am considering going straight
to a 1" bar - would appreciate any input or opinions.

Despite being essentially a stock type suspension, the difference from the
un-modified '71 roadster is dramatic.  The roadster is comfortable and
compliant on the road.  The GT handles like it's on rails.  The car performs
well enough already that I need to work more on my driving - and not so much
the car.  I could possibly consider Spax at a later time to be able to react
to different course conditions.  Even then, my driving has to improve
considerably to make such an investment worth while.  My personal final
analysis: the B suspension is pretty darn good in its original format with
just a few tweaks here and there.  Before you change the shock system - add
the panhard rod.

Cheers,

Dean
'71 roadster - almost totally stock
'74 GT - took season second place in F-Street Prepared in Washington
Metropolitan Council of Sports Car Clubs Autocross Series
BTW: another B (a roadster) took F-Street Prepared season second place in
the DC Region SCCA Autocross Series