Tube shock conversions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tube shock conversions
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:58:44 EST
In a message dated 23/01/03 10:52:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The last set I saw was for more of the strut type shock and it had a knob on
> the end that you turned to adjust the shock.  Actually you got one knob per
> set and you just stuck it to the shaft on the shock when you adjust it,
> then
> remove it and don't lose it.

Koni struts adjust through a central shaft, but the normal shocks have to be
fully compressed to adjust - but how often would one be doing that anyway -
doesn't seem to be much of an issue to me. Nearly everyone sets the shocks
too hard to start with - I have mine on the Fiero at one or two clicks out
and it is perfect.

The rear kits for MGs are usually reasonably well made (can't fit them to my
MGC as there is no room with the twin pipes), but the front conversions are
usually (not always) a Rube Goldberg abortion with forces not properly
supported on both sides, sometimes more weight than you got rid of, etc.

I'm not a big fan, as properly operating Armstrongs are very good.

Bill
(Twincam - Armstrong
TVR - Spax
Lambo and Fiero - Koni)