Re: Tube shock conversions

To: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversions
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:43:04 -0500
Dean,
<snip>
> Not yet installed but soon to be for next season:
>
> - 550 lb 1" lower front springs from Moss - tried these originally , but
> they inexplicably lower the car well more than 1" - maybe three inches -
> will use spring spacers to try and dial in the eventual ride height.  The
> catalogues say lower "3/4 inch".  I think it should read "3-4 inches" -
> seriously.  No one has ever managed an explanation for the dramatic
> difference in advertised and actual effect.  Any guesses?

I put the #550 springs in my '71 GT.  The fronts went down exactly 1" the
rears however did not.  I talked to kelvin about this and he said they have
real problems with all of their rear springs being arched right not just the
MG's, but usually they are too high.  Could part of your problem be that you
have the rubber bumper ride height? because the springs will lower 1" from
CB ride height.

> - 7/8" front roll bar.  Already have this but am considering going
straight
> to a 1" bar - would appreciate any input or opinions.

Another thing you can do is to add poly bushes from the roll bar to body,
they will have the effect of stiffening the bar to 15/16 or 1".  This will
save buying another bar.

> Despite being essentially a stock type suspension, the difference from the
> un-modified '71 roadster is dramatic.  The roadster is comfortable and
> compliant on the road.  The GT handles like it's on rails.  The car
performs
> well enough already that I need to work more on my driving - and not so
much
> the car.  I could possibly consider Spax at a later time to be able to
react
> to different course conditions.  Even then, my driving has to improve
> considerably to make such an investment worth while.  My personal final
> analysis: the B suspension is pretty darn good in its original format with
> just a few tweaks here and there.  Before you change the shock system -
add
> the panhard rod.
I agree, they handle excellently, I would suggest fabing a v-link rather
than panhard rod because it will limit wind up as well as lateral movement.
I would also suggest poly bushes everywhere if you haven't done so.  Lastly
a rear bar might be usefull to you considering all of the other work you
have done.

> Cheers,
>
> Dean
> '71 roadster - almost totally stock
> '74 GT - took season second place in F-Street Prepared in Washington
> Metropolitan Council of Sports Car Clubs Autocross Series
> BTW: another B (a roadster) took F-Street Prepared season second place in
> the DC Region SCCA Autocross Series

congrats on the title,  I'm going to take a shot at the northeast ohio E-mod
class this season.

james nazarian