Re: Rubber Bumper B owners unite!

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumper B owners unite!
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:28:24 -0600
Dodd, Kelvin wrote:
> This is a message specifically to the owners of Rubber Bumper MGBs.
>

> How much interest would you have in a 50% increase in horsepower that would
> cost somewhere around the 3 grand range?
>
> I'm having an argument about whether owners of these cars are interested in
> spending money on performance items.  My oponent believes that since the
> cars do not have a high resale value, the owners arn't likely to spend that
> kind of money.  I would like to prove them wrong.
>
> Personally, I have a 1980 MGB that is getting lowered, a chrome bumper
> conversion and all kinds of other fun stuff, so I am a tad biased.  Let's
> hear your views.
>

> Kelvin Dodd

Let's see, property tax increase + tution increase for the boys school
vs performance boost for my toy. Add in a really small raise.

Hmm, the wife won't go for it. :-)

I don't think I can justify that kind of cash outlay.

It does sound like an idea worth persuing in a niche market though. I'm
assuming that since your for it, that this would be 50 state legal as
CARB is right on top of you.

To follow up on a few points others brought up.

        1. I like my RRB, and was a bit offended by the trashing
some others gave it. Ok, it's is a step down in performance from a
CBB, but it's a fun car.

        2. I don't think you can do a *safe* V8 conversion for $3k. All
kinds of little things would add up.

        3. As to a chrome bumper conversion. For everyday driving, with
all those nut cases out there, I'd perfer to keep rubber bumpers.
Though, I might be interested, so where down the line (after my body
work) in something along the lines of John Hill's MGR still replacement
bumpers. I doubt the market would be big enough for Moss to get into,
but maybe a Jeff Zorn type could handle a small volume deal like that.
Hill's website hasn't changed in over a year, so I don't know what, if
anything, is going on with that. I have no idea on cost of those
bumpers, it might not be worth it at all.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155