Re: Rubber Bumper B owners unite!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumper B owners unite!
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:15:03 EST
In a message dated 3/11/03 6:37:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I'm having an argument about whether owners of these cars are interested in
> spending money on performance items.  My oponent believes that since the
> cars do not have a high resale value, the owners arn't likely to spend that
> kind of money.  I would like to prove them wrong.

Kelvin - the RBB are basically very poor excuses for MGs - I call them Austin
Marina convertibles.

For 3K, you could go out and buy an early CBB and use the money you get from
selling the RBB to restore it.

I doubt you'll get a whole lot of takers on a 3K package to give an RBB the
power you'd have to start with in a CBB, and you'd still have that travesty
of a suspension to deal with.

The only sensible thing to do with a RBB is flog it and get an early car to
play with.

You would get some takers that would want to improve their RBB, simply
because they either couldn't locate a decent early car (depends on the area,
as to whether or not these are easily available), or were unaccountably
attached to their RBB cars.

But for the most part, anyone wanting to spend 3K to make an RBB have the
power of an earlier car, but still have the handling of a Walmart shopping
cart will be one rare beast (outside of an institutionm that is).

BTW, I actually enjoy the looks of the Huffaker RBB - that were lowered to
CBB specs. They were at least as aerodynamic as the early cars (once lowered)
and of course Huffaker had to use the current body style - no fair using
something they didn't sell any more....

Bill