Re: Rubber Bumper B

To: mwjose@cox.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumper B
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:47:57 EST
In a message dated 3/13/03 5:14:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, mwjose@cox.net
writes:

> If you people aren't driving your MGBs daily, why have them?  I
> haven't experienced a well tuned early CBB, so that is why my 79 B is
> superior to all other cars I've driven in terms of fun and feel.  IMO,
> one shouldn't own a car he doesn't want to drive at any time, and also,
> I've never met a car I like better than my 79 B.

Your statements (that you like your 79 and that you've never driven an early
B) are consistent. Don't drive an early car! It will either make you unhappy
with what you have or cost you money if you decide to switch.

And I disagree with your statement that you shouldn't have an MGB unless you
are going to drive it every day, or at least often.

In my view that isn't true in any of the following circumstances:

1     You live in an area that has hard winters, salt, rain, or any
combination that makes driving a sports car less than enjoyable and
potentially expensive in terms of repair (body) bills (we don't all have it
as nice as you do in Phoenix ;-)
I have derusted my cars (some of them more than once) and have no intention
of accelerating the next time in the body shop, thanks.

2     You have the MG as a second car, and drive a 'regular' vehicle to work
during the week to save wear and tear on the MG and on you (an automatic is
much more relaxing to drive in stop and go traffic).

3     You own more than one collectible car. This applies to me - I am down
to 7 or 8 other than my daily drivers, and there is no way I can drive them
all, so any given car will sit for an indeterminate time between uses. The
race cars aren't drivable on the street anyway, and I have 3 of the other
ones on a special collector's car transferable plate that does NOT allow them
to be driven to or from work. If those get any use during the week it is
after work for a quick burn up the highway for coffee, to look at a tree (any
excuse) or some such.

Bill