Re: Daily Driver

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: Daily Driver
From: Blair Weiss <blair@ifd.mv.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 18:50:33 -0500
I just wrote to another about this.. and I would like to hear about it.

I just replaced my sills, inner and outer rockers, cross member, jacking
points, floors and doglegs...

Point #1 Get your car home!

My next one will go much quicker and smoother...  that's why I am
"experimenting" with a 78. You want to do one side at a time, to avoid
distorting the car. I used a couple of books, "Colour MGB GT
Restoration" by Practical Classics was probably most helpful.
(amazon.com) There is just too much opportunity to cut corners if you
aren't doing it yourself. My perceived danger is, if you make a bunch of
messy welds, or silly patches, it just makes it that much harder the
next time around.

It probably will take you about 20 hours per side. I am sure a body shop
that has done this before can cut it down to 10 hours / side.

I used adhesive on the floorboards... no grinding, no seam sealer, no
distortion. This stuff is great, the only warning is, they say don't use
it on "crumple zones" because it is stronger than welding and doesn't
react the same... no problems, I am sure they weren't thinking about
crumple zones in 62-63.

I did photo-document the process, just haven't got around to building a
page for it.

Good luck, I would like to hear how others did.

Blair