RE: ? about MGB (1978) books & de-smogging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ? about MGB (1978) books & de-smogging
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:08:40 -0600
> The long story is that looking over the pile of parts I hope to
> rebuild into the power plant for this MGB causes me to think the
> cylinder head may not be a 'smog head'. Is it true that it should have
> ports for the air injection in the head? I don't see them. BTW, where
> is the outlet for the 'auto choke' located? Don't see that on the head
> either...
>
> The casting numbers on the head are as follows:
> 12H1326        22/3/67 (circular)        MOWOG
>    AF1                                                024
>
> The engine number is:
> 18V 883AEL 01999

Well, based on the engine number, it should have the smog head on it.
(Don't know enough about the head numbers to tell you anything based on
those.)

When done with allen-socket set screws, air injection plugs can hide pretty
well, esp. if there's plenty of crud on the head, so look carefully.
They're on the spark plug side of the head.

As for the water choke takeoff, look at the rear of the head, on the top
horizontal surface, on the intake/exhaust side.  The head will have two stud
holes with an unthreaded hole between them.