RE: Replacing rod bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Replacing rod bearings
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:18:41 -0500
> The last time I did this with the engine "in place", I lifted the
> engine a few inches so the oil pan could clear the cross member. I'm
> wondering if it might be easier the other way around, to drop the
> cross member to get clearance. I've never pulled a crossmember on an
> MGB, so I don't know just how much pain and nuisance I'm looking at,
> though I'd guess that taking it off is easier than putting it back
> on.

Well, having done the taking off part, I can say that it isn't terribly
difficult.  Disconnect the steering columm and the brake hard lines, and
then undo the four nuts on the studes that come up through the frame
rails.

The only part that's really difficult about this is getting the works
balanced on a floor jack to wheel everything out.  Of course, if you can
get the car high enough, you could leave the wheels on and wheel it out.

I haven't yet gotten to the replacement portion of this, but as they
say, installation is the reverse of removal.  Obviously you'll have the
added challenge of getting the holes lined up.  Also, one of the studs
on each side goes inside the cross member, rather than being exposed, so
I expect those to be a bit fiddly.

While the removal can be a one-person job, I think I'll want another set
of hands around for the replacement.