New MGB - A couple of questions

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New MGB - A couple of questions
From: "engl" <engl@cableregina.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 22:20:04 -0600
Bought my second MGB on Friday (first one was a '77 rust bucket that I could
not license and I got rid of it quickly a couple of years ago).  I have a
few questions for the experts out there:

I'm not sure if the car has the original engine (likely not) as the looks
like it was originally block is orange and the head looks like it was
turquoise (?, and there is no engine number plate on the block.  To order
parts for the engine (if and when necessary), is there any way to tell what
year the engine was (or even if it is an MG engine)?  Car is a '65, has a
generator, is positive ground, and carbs look original.  The fan is a five
blade fan (original was 3?).

The engine looks like it has been shimmed up so the crank pulley just (and I
mean just!) clears the front suspension subframe.  Is this normal?  How do I
find the timing marks on the engine (the pulley might be oversize and
covering them) ?

Did the '65 have back-up lights?

Thanks for your help.  I'm sure there will be more questions to follow!

Bob
'65 MGB