Re: New MGB - A couple of questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New MGB - A couple of questions
From: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:40:17 -0400
Max Heim (mvheim@attbi.com) wrote:
> The correct engine color would be maroon, but a backyard mechanic could have
> sprayed it whatever after servicing, so that doesn't tell you much in
> itself.

The 18V in my 1973/1974 hybrid has no paint left, but the engine
compartment is the same light blue as the rest of the car, and is at least
the seventh or eighth layer of paint. The DPO painted the engine
compartment, the wiring harness, the heater, the pedalbox, and the entire
front of the radiator in this color. Lovely.

What's funny is if you've seen the Dr. Doolin MGB rebuild video that Moss
sells, the entire engine is painted a shockingly bright light blue color
after reassembly. The little booklet of notes that come with it make the
note that this is incorrect, but that the owner of the car in question
wanted the engine (block, head, sump, side covers and rocker cover.) in the
same color as the car itself.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster