Re: Fuel Tank & Vents, MGB

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank & Vents, MGB
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 09:48:17 -0500
Jim Juhas wrote:
> I have a 1970 (mostly) MGB with what appears to be a vapor
> canister in the right rear of the boot.  And I have the
> strong aroma of gas when driving, but no obvious leaks.  I
> haven't dropped the tank yet, and I suspect rust through on
> the top.  Last rear, when parked with a full tank on a slope
> nosed down I got a gas spill.  (On my asphalt driveway, big
> hole.)  I attributed the leak to fuel pump fittings, but
> that wasn't conclusive.

Sounds like a gas tank problem.

> Questions:
> 1. Where does the vent line from the canister go to?  I'm
> hoping against hope that my problem is there.

The pictures on Moss's website can't be beat for this question.

The thing in the tank is the Vapor Separator. The lower end goes to the
tank (obviously), the other goes to a fitting in the front right, that
is a pipe to the engine bay. It then connects to the charcoal canister
in the rear right of the engine bay.

> 2. Are there any significant issues with going to a
> non-vented tank from an earlier car?  Anything other than a
> vented cap that would have to be added?

Don't know. I'd rather have a working system, though.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155