Re: Fuel Tank & Vents, MGB

To: james.f.juhas@snet.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank & Vents, MGB
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:10:47 -0400
Jim,
  The charcoal adsorbtion cannister is beside the heater, opposite corner
from the hydraulic MCs.  Black, with three hoses poking out the top, one
1/2 hole at the bottom.
  One of the three hoses runs to a pipe to the separator you found in the
boot. The second  is for the vapors recovered from the SU carbs, via a
pipe run across the bulkhead behind the heater.   Third connects to the
rocker cover breather.
   The idea is that the carbs, connected to the front pushrod cover via a
hose, pull a vacuum on the engine, which pulls in the vapors from the
cannister, which has collected them from the tank and the carbs. Air
passes up through the large hole at the bottom, which also serves as a
drain if something is amiss in the lines.
  They clog with old gasoline sediment and mystery goo, which I bet is
the problem that Dave has.  Blowing them clear will probably solve the
issue for him unless one is kinked or dented closed. When clear, you
should be able to blow with lung power at the cannister end and hear
bubbles in the fuel tank.  It's not a good idea to inhale doing this.
   If you haven't spotted the charcoal cannister, it's not in your car.
Thousands of MGBs run fine without it, though it does no harm to
performance and might recover the occasional drop of gasoline that would
otherwise evaporate.  If you want one, I'm sure that someone in the CT
club has a couple around. Ask at Tuesday's meeting.
Bob

On Mon, 05 May 2003 11:09:35 -0400 Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
writes:
> Hmmm, I don't think I have a charcoal canister under the hood.  I
> always figured it should have one if the system was vented.  Isn't it
supposed to
> be up front near the radiator?
>
> Nor do I have any lines that could be the vacuum line going to the
> carburetors. Do those/does that go directly to the carburetors or to
the air
> cleaner?  The PO put little pancake air cleaners on there.
>
> Thanks, Dave.
>
> Dave Wood wrote:
>
> > Jim,
> >
> > The vent line comes from the fuel tank to the canister in the
> trunk to the charcoal canister under the hood and then the fumes are
passed
> through the crankcase emission system through the carburetors to be
burned.

> > I have found my 72B occasionally overflows into the charcoal
> canister on a hot day right after I fill the tank and park in the sun.
The