Fuel Tank & Vents, MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Tank & Vents, MGB
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 10:26:33 -0400
I have a 1970 (mostly) MGB with what appears to be a vapor
canister in the right rear of the boot.  And I have the
strong aroma of gas when driving, but no obvious leaks.  I
haven't dropped the tank yet, and I suspect rust through on
the top.  Last rear, when parked with a full tank on a slope
nosed down I got a gas spill.  (On my asphalt driveway, big
hole.)  I attributed the leak to fuel pump fittings, but
that wasn't conclusive.

Questions:
1. Where does the vent line from the canister go to?  I'm
hoping against hope that my problem is there.

2. Are there any significant issues with going to a
non-vented tank from an earlier car?  Anything other than a
vented cap that would have to be added?

If it's not a problem, could anyone who might reply copy it
to my email address?  I subscribe to the digest, so I won't
see the list replies right away.

Jim