Re: Restoring old brake lines

To: crenner@dynalivery.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restoring old brake lines
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:32:31 EDT
crenner@dynalivery.com writes:

> There is a DOT 5 spec.  I know I had
> read something about it having simply been used by companies as a
> marketing tool.  Perhaps this was in the early days of silicone fluids?

- - - - - - - - - - -

There is also a relatively new brake fluid called DOT 5.1, which is glycol
based, not silicone.  It is basically a higher temp DOT 4.  I didn't see any
"official" DOT 5.1 specs. so maybe that was what you were thinking about.

Then you get into the new synthetic brake fluids.  Valvoline has a nice line
of them, and probably others do too.  Again, they are basically DOT 4, and
worth a look.

I still think DOT 5 is only good for trailer queens, and should be changed
annually.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)