Re: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the

To: Tim Holt <holtt@nacse.org>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:37:12 -0500
At 09:54 AM 7/10/03 -0700, Tim Holt wrote:
>...what would you put in it? ....

See the "Survival Kit": http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/toolbox1.htm

It fits in a small tackle box, but contains enough tools to disassemble and
reassemble the whole MGA.  I know it's true, because the 12" adjustable
wrench was added when I had to R&R a crankshaft in a motel parking
lot.  But if you have one of those moden cars with roll up windows or
emissions controls, .... well some of those problems may have to wait until
you get home.  You may ask why I pack a compression testor but not jumper
cables (if you can't figure it out for yourself).  But a small baggie of
miscellaneous fasteners and small electrical bits can come in handy, along
with the hair pins and chewing gum and wire and duct tape and a spot of
epoxy putty.

A very appropriate question is, "What tools can I do without?", and that
list is very long.  The largest tool in your kit will generally serve as a
hammer if necessary.  A pocket knife will do as a wire stripper in a
pinch.  A 12 volt soldering iron is cute, but more of a luxury item than
necessity in emergency.  Cell phone and auto club card are not required, as
they just cause a longer delay when you have to wait for service.  If you
ever encounter a situation where your car has to be towed, any small delay
in obtaining a tow will be of little significance to your overall problem.

If you're about to take a long road trip (doesn't count unless it's more
than 1000 miles), maybe take along a spare fuel pump and water pump,
because those parts are hard to find on short notice on the road, and also
a fan belt and some hoses.  Don't take a generator or starter, but take
brushes and bushings to rebuild them.  If you were really serious you might
consider packing every gasket and seal for the car so you could R&R
anything without a special parts order.  A box the size of an oil pan
gasket and about 3" thick will accomodate all of that.

Bottom line is that tools are about ten times more important than
parts.  The worst case senario I have ever encountered on the road that
didn't require a tow was a broken crankshaft when the engine kept
running.  That held me up for a few days in a motel while I procured parts
and rented an engine hoist to R&R the crankshaft.  Head gaskets and
generator rebuilds are petty by comparison, while a holed fuel tank or
blown radiator may require a commercial service stop in the next
town.  Most service problems on the road will be really petty and generally
inconsequential with minimal delay if you carry a few simple tools.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com