Re: Front hub with spacer, no shims, and endplay

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front hub with spacer, no shims, and endplay
From: James Feyrer <james.feyrer@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:28:44 -0400
Barney,

Thanks for the reply.  I am already using new bearings (including
replacing the races), so it appears that I will need to take some
material off the spacer if I want to reduce the endplay.  I have access
to a machine shop.  What do you suggest as an optimal method for taking
off spacer material?  How much should I remove?

I confess that I am a bit mystified that this should be necessary,
unless the endplay has *never* been right on the car.

Jim

--
James Feyrer
Asst Professor, Dept of Economics