Re: Front hub with spacer, no shims, and endplay

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front hub with spacer, no shims, and endplay
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:18:09 -0700
on 7/17/03 10:12 AM, James Feyrer at james.feyrer@Dartmouth.EDU wrote:

> I have wire wheels also, and the cap Moss sent me looks just like the
> item in the catalog and nothing like the tech tips describe.  It is a
> little metal semicircle with a square protrusion at the middle of the
> arc.  The Haynes manual picture looks the same.  I can see how you can
> shove it into the hub, but I am unclear how it keeps grease in unless
> its job is to plug up the hole used to install the split pin.  The tech
> tips all seem to describe a cap that sits over the hub nut.
>
> Jim Feyrer
> 1968 MGB

I'm looking at the Moss catalog Front Suspension page, and you seem to be
referring to item #72. I have to admit I have no idea what that thing is. It
certainly does not resemble any sort of grease retaining cup I've ever seen,
and it's not present on my WW car.

The "grease cap" that I am familiar with is off to the side in that diagram,
item #73. I think you will find its function self-explanatory.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149