RE: Virus from list member?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Virus from list member?
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:40:23 -0500
>Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:12:08 -0400
>From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@ameritech.net>
>Subject: RE: Virus from list member?
>

>I've gotten hundreds at work, all addressed to sales, but none here at
>home...guess I'm a "no mate guy".;^)   Geez, and I have a total of 4 email
>addresses at home.  I'm just a lonely guy...not!
>

>At any dealership I've seen, the computer that reads the codes from the car
>engine mgmt system is a stand-alone unit.  Not connected to the network.
>Well, now that I think of it, the stand-alone unit is updated by CD, floppy,
>or maybe connecting to the network.  No, I don't think it is all web
>based...yet.
>

>Safety Fast!
>Gordie Bird
>62 MGA

Normally I don't comment on this topic, but here I go.

Sometimes the term virus can be loosely defined. Normally we think of it as
a bit of programming that somebody maliciously puts together in order to
inflict harm or disorder on others. But it doesn't have to be purpose-built
or malicious in order to qualify. As long as it is self-replicating or
self-propigating (sp?) and harmful in some way, I believe it qualifies as a
virus.

To wit:

A few years ago I was with a show at the 1894 Opera House in Galveston (my
all-time favorite theater in the world) and we were having trouble
programming the lighting console. It was a Strand Mini-Light Pallett and
reputed to be the only one still working in America. Maybe the only one
that ever worked in America (BTW, it's British. There's your LBC content).
But it had always been reliable. We had always been able to walk in, load
our disk, re-patch and go to O'Malley's for Frito pie and a Bass Ale or two
before showtime. That night was different. The design on these things is
about as proprietary as it gets, with main chips from god-only-knows what
ee's nightmare thrown together into a generally good solid working package.
There is no way in hell anyone could have, with malice aforethought,
written code to disrupt this machine, but after we left, we got word back
that they had sent the console back to Strand and, yes there was a virus.
Someone had come in before us and loaded their show into the console with
some bad data. Somehow the information had gotten into the main operating
code and screwed up the console.

No matter how insulated a computer system may seem, if the operating system
allows for data input, it is susceptible to viruses. All of the comments
from Mac drivers are wind, too, as I have had to fix Macs with viruses as
well as deal with infected linux boxes.

Macs just crash differently, and generally don't get virussed because they
only comprise 3% of the computer world. Linux boxes are only immune to the
point that no one really cares to take the time and effort for less than
one percent. If there were applications someone could actually use maybe
someone would car to screw with it, but then there wouldn't be a Bill Gates
to blame their troubled lives on, so it would still be a little pointless,
wouldn't it?

If it's mission critical, you'd better be checking and portecting your
system daily, hourly for problems and have it ready to save lives if
necessary. If it's not, it's only a game.

I drive an MG and just bought Jeanette a Series I XJ6 because they have no
computers in them.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
VP - Tennsessee Spokes Sports Car Club
schnittke@mindspring.com
'67 B (my daily driver)
'71 XJ6 Series I (Jeanette's daily driver)
dead '69 B