RE: Virus from list member?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Virus from list member?
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:01:46 -0500
>Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:12:11 +0000
>From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Virus from list member?
>

>Maybe it had a virus, or maybe not. Were the people who sent it back
>qualified enough to tell?

etc.

No, actually having been in on it, I know that Strand was called and told
what the system was actually doing or not, they said send it to us, and
they were the ones that called back saying, "It's got a virus." The boys at
the Grand were not qualified to diagnose the problems and didn't. As I said
in my original post:

>Sometimes the term virus can be loosely defined. Normally we think of it
>as a bit of programming that somebody maliciously puts together in order
>to inflict harm or disorder on others. But it doesn't have to be
>purpose-built or malicious in order to qualify. As long as it is
>self-replicating or self-propigating (sp?) and harmful in some way, I
>believe it qualifies as a virus.

If it induces problems and can be spread from machine to machine via media
or connection, it can be considered a virus. And Strand doesn't make that
much off returns for service - they rake it in if they send somebody TO you.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
VP - Tennsessee Spokes Sports Car Club
schnittke@mindspring.com
'67 B (my daily driver)
'71 XJ6 Series I (Jeanette's daily driver)
dead '69 B