RE: Virus from list member?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Virus from list member?
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:12:11 +0000
Maybe it had a virus, or maybe not. Were the people who sent it back
qualified enough to tell?

Imagine the phone call to the UK:
Theatre staff:
"Our console has got a virus"
Strand (or whoever):
"Describe the symptoms"
Theatre staff describes random symptoms.
Strand (sensing an opportunity for some revenue):
"OK, perhaps it has a virus"
And now the killer from Strand:
"send it to us and we will look at it"

The point is that by agreeing with the Theatre's possibly unqualified
diagnosis, Strand (or whoever) is able to get some business!

Many people assume that they have a virus when the problem may be simply a
mis-configuration, or some other problem. Just look at the JDBMGR/good times
(or whatever) emails that describe fictional viruses. Many people believed
them. I sure much money has been made "cleaning off" these non-existent
viruses.

All of the above is not intended to claim that viruses are not a menace to
computer users (they are), just that much of the "damage" done by viruses is
actually done by owners/users who mistakenly think their machine is
infected.